Thursday 6 October 2011

The last of the runners

   Sorry I haven't posted on here for a while, but that doesn't mean I've been slacking in the garden . . .

I grew a lot (and i mean a lot) of beans especially runner beans. I loved all the different colours of the flowers, they are an attractive climber and shouldn't be over looked for any garden.

























   Ive had plenty of harvests from my plants, in fact there's been too many! As Ive never grown runners before I wasn't sure what to expect. I find the strings a bit off putting, and because I had too many plants i couldn't keep up with picking them young and tender. I even pickled some in an effort to preserve them for later months. Does anyone have and tasty recipes they use for runners  (you can only have so many boiled runners) ???



    I think next year i will definitley plant more french beans than runners. This year I've grown purple teepee and they were tasty and the colour made them stand out at the plot. It's just a shame that the colour disappears when they're submerged into boiling water. I've also grown borlotti beans this year, which was another first. The type was 'Blorlotti Lingua di Fuoco' and they are still going strong now. They're great to add to stews and casseroles to bulk them out.

  

1 comment:

  1. I think that we all grow too many beans, especially runners.
    I'm planning on successional sowing next year to see if I can get a spread harvest rather than a glut. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete